Once the form and corresponding table for data collection are created, the projects are easily shared with the collectors in the field or other GIS Cloud users using MDC Portal. To share the project with collectors who are going to collect data for you using the MDC app, it is necessary to purchase MDC licenses. However, you can also share MDC projects with other users and they are going to be able to open in Mobile Data Collection Portal or Map Editor.
Note: All MDC licenses must be assigned to the project owner, not the collectors. Here you can find info on how to properly assign MDC licenses.
Follow these steps to share a project:
- Log in MDC Portal with GIS Cloud credentials
- Open a project from the list
- Click on the Share button
- In the empty field type in the username of the user, you want to share the project with and hit Enter. Note that you can also share a map with a group of users! Learn how to create a group in this guide.
- Write the username (or a group name) in the list, and set sharing permissions.
- Can view – will provide only viewing privileges to the person you have shared your map with.
- Can share – will provide sharing privileges to the person you have shared your map with.
- Can edit – will provide complete editing privileges to the person you have shared your map with.
- Can export – will allow the person to export the map you have shared with him.
- Can collect – will allow the person in the field to send new data to a specific layer. However, but without the possibility to make changes to existing data or the one that he already sent through Mobile Data Collection application.
- Can update – will allow the person in the field to make attribute and geometry changes for features in a specific layer, but without the possibility to send new data through Mobile Data Collection application.
Note: If you get an alert “You have 0/0 Mobile data collection subscription(s) in total available” then please check that MDC licenses are properly assigned in the Manager app. Here you can find info on how to assign MDC licenses.
If you have a large number of collectors in your organization, creating projects with a similar or same form can be time-consuming. Use the Duplicate form tool that duplicates all options, including dependencies from the previous form.